Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Snow?? In Minnesota??

Another foot-plus of snow since Sunday night. (It's now Tuesday morning.) When I got home from work Sunday, I had to shovel and snow-throw about 8" (about 16-20" deep just to get my vehicle past the plow-drift left at the foot of my driveway). Then again Monday morning, I spent about an hour shoveling, snow-throwing and (again) removing the 12"-deep plow-drift at the foot of my driveway. Monday evening when I got home I had another six inches to remove -- and, a plow drift almost twice as deep.

Tell me again: why do we live here?

I debated yesterday morning whether I should or should not drive into the office - the Interstate freeway I take to go to the office was like a pitted dirt road from snow and ice build-up. My family got stuck in a snow drift after hitting an icy patch on the highway. We've had ice-dams on our roof and leaks in our ceiling. We've gone through at least 30 lbs of salt on the path and steps to our front door. I have to drive 20 miles before I feel warmth in my car.

What is it about this place that is so alluring? Whatever it is (or was), it's losing its appeal.

No comments: