Wednesday, February 09, 2011

JEEZ It's Cold!

It's -9 F outside this morning! That's MINUS NINE DEGREES F! The car started, I let it idle for a few minutes, backed it out, and drove two miles before the temp gauge stirred. As soon as it got the slightest bit above the "frigid" temp mark, I turned on the heater. Drove 25 miles with my gloves and winter coat on, heater on high, and I was still cold when I got to work.

I was so focused on how cold it was I drove off with my daughter's backpack and lunch box still in the back seat. So guess what happened when it was time for my wife to drive her to school.

I lived in Alaska for almost two years, and don't recall ever feeling this same bite in the air. Maybe because I was living on Kodiak Island, and the sea tempered the air -- whatever: Minnesota winter this year is ridiculously cold.

The snow in my yard is about three feet deep. And of course it's accumulated on the roof as well -- and ice dams are building up and if we don't get rid of them, we start getting leaks in the roof. There are some places adjacent to my driveway where the snow mound is five feet high!

I don't ever want to live through this kind of winter, ever again.

No comments: