Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Voter ID: What am I missing?

What's the big problem with requiring an ID when voting? If you don't want to prove you have a right to vote, why not? Are you hiding something? Do you think that anyone should be able to walk in to any polling place, any time, and pull the lever, without demonstrating a "right" to do so? If you do, does that mean that I am allowed to do that? Do you trust me to vote (repeatedly) the way you want me to?

(By the way: you do know, don't you, that you don't have a Constitutional "right to vote" for the president?)

If you're against requiring that prospective voters identify themselves by using a government-issued photo ID to prove they have a right to vote when and where they're standing, I'm guessing you don't trust me to vote the way you want me to. People have to show their government ID when they write a check, when they use their credit or debit cards, when they register for a class, when they open a bank account... If I'm required to show my ID to vote, and it's a legitimate ID, I will get only one vote. Isn't that what you want? Don't you want to limit my voice to only a single expression? I won't be able to stuff the ballot box quite so easily if I have to show my ID before I'm allowed to vote.

For those who are against a voter ID requirement, I'd have guessed you'd want a way to limit my freedom of expression. Voter ID seems like a legitimate way to achieve that goal.


No comments: